As someone just starting in the world of dirt biking, you need to have some way of gauging what bike is best for you. There are many types of motorcycles and many different brands that make them.
A 4-stroke refers to the type of engine in the dirt bike. It has four different strokes or movements of the piston. If you’re looking for a bike that is easy to ride, has an automatic clutch and throttle, and provides plenty of power from the engine, look no further than a four-stroke dirt bike.
So now that you have an understanding of what 4-stroke motorcycles are, let us talk about which ones are best for beginner dirt bike riders. Consider the following
1. KTM 250 SX-F
This is one of the best 4 stroke dirt bikes for beginners that you will find on the market. If you are looking for an excellent choice in dirt bikes, this one is it. Here are the top three reasons why you should consider this bike as your first four-stroke dirt bike.
- First of all, the engine on this bike is hushed and fuel-efficient. It runs very steadily, so you won’t have to worry about an engine malfunction during your riding.
- Another great thing about this bike is its smooth suspension. Nothing can take away from a great biking experience faster than a rigid and stiff suspension, but this bike solves that problem.
- The front and rear suspension of the 250 SFX is adjustable, so you can easily change it according to your riding needs. Lastly, this bike is easy to ride. Unlike other racing dirt bikes, this bike is very user-friendly, and it’s perfect for beginner riders.
KTM 250 SX-F specs
This fantastic four-stroke dirt bike has a 250 cc engine. The low seat height of only 35 inches makes this great for beginners, while the long wheelbase and short trail also help improve stability while riding. The fuel-injected engine makes the bike powerful and easy to control for beginners.
With features like the low seat height, long wheelbase, and short trail, this bike is excellent for beginners and experienced riders because of its speed and handling.
KTM 250 SX-F pros
- Great suspension makes it easy to control both in the air and on the ground.
- Very powerful engine for a 250
KTM 250 SX-F cons
- Not as easy to work on as an old school carbureted dirt bike
KTM 250 SX-F Reviews
The KTM 250 SX-F is a powerful machine for beginners as it has great power and strength as it is a 4 stroke dirt bike. It is a very lightweight motorcycle, weighing nly 248 pounds. The 4 stroke engine gives you smooth and consistent power throughout the rev range. It also gives you a great advantage as it doesn’t have any of the flat spots that 2 strokes typically have due to the additional torque from the 4th stroke. This means that it will accelerate faster and gets going faster.
2. Yamaha YZ125
It is a dirt bike for beginners and comes at an affordable price. It has a dependable engine and requires low maintenance. This is the best choice for beginners as it provides the best value for money.
Yamaha YZ125 is considered one of the best dirt bikes for beginners, thanks to its superb engine. This dirt bike has the YZ125 engine that is known for being able to maintain its high performance at all times, no matter how much the dirt bike is used. It provides unprecedented power at all RPMs. Thanks to this engine, Yamaha YZ125 is one of the best dirt bikes for beginners.
Thanks to its lightweight and excellent suspension, Yamaha YZ125 is known as one of the best-handling dirt bikes. This dirt bike is easy to ride and control that is perfect for beginners who wish to experience the true pleasure of riding a dirt bike. Newbies will also feel much comfortable with Yamaha.
Yamaha YZ125 specs
- Displacement: 124.9 cc
- Fuel System: Yamaha Fuel Injection
- Front Suspension: KYB 43mm telescopic fork
- Rear Suspension: Adjustable link Monocross
- Front Brakes: Hydraulic disc, 298 mm
- Curb Weight: 145.6 kg
- Wheelbase: 1340mm
- Seat Height: 943mm
- Fuel Capacity: 10.5 litres
This bike is one of the best four-stroke dirt bikes for beginners. It is a powerful, reliable bike that can be used for racing or trail riding. It has a good balance between power and handling, making it a versatile bike that can be used in various ways.
Yamaha YZ125 Pros
- This bike is incredibly lightweight, weighing in at about 150 pounds.
- It’s fitted with a powerful two-stroke engine that reaches speeds of up to 70 miles per hour.
Yamaha YZ125 cons
- The downside of this bike is that it’s not street legal, which limits its range of use.
- This bike is one of the most powerful bikes on the market, reaching the highest speeds.
- The engine is a monster, creating this bike incredibly powerful.
Yamaha YZ125 Reviews
The bike is also easy to control, even for beginners who are brand-spankin’ new to riding. It weighs in at a lightweight 224 pounds dry weight which makes it great for maneuverability. The YZ125 also has a comfortable seat height of 34 inches, so most people can easily mount and dismount the bike without difficulty.
3. Honda CRF250X
The CRF250X is a four-stroke off-road dirt bike. The motorbike has been on the market since 2012 and has seen many minor changes and upgrades over the past years. When it comes to buying a dirt bike, Honda is seen as one of the most reliable manufacturers on the market. CRF250X is no exception to the rule, with its high performance and durability.
The motorbike has an outstanding power-to-weight ratio making it light and quick. The motorbike is excellent for all kinds of off-road terrain, including hills, rocks, gravel, and mud. With a strong engine, the bike works perfectly as an entry-level mount for those trying to break into dirt biking or even as an upgrade to a more powerful motorbike for seasoned riders. The CRF250X is not the cheapest dirt bike on the market, but considering the reliability and performance you get for your money, it is well worth the investment.
Honda CRF250X specs
The Honda CRF250X is a four-stroke dirt bike. It has an electric starter and hydraulic disc brakes in the front and back. The CRF250X weighs in at 289 pounds without fuel, making it one of the lighter dirt bikes in this group.
It has a fuel capacity of 2.1 gallons and a seat height of 35 inches. It is short, but it doesn’t feel cramped due to its raised handlebars. The tires are knobby and not particularly suited for pavement. If you want to ride this dirt bike on the street, you will need different tires and a new exhaust system.
Honda CRF250X Review
Overall, the Honda CRF250X is an excellent dirt bike for beginner riders. This is the best dirt bike under $4,000, and it probably offers the most fantastic value for your dollar. It has a smooth and powerful engine and is easy to control.
Honda CRF250X pros
- A single-cylinder four-stroke engine is easy to work on and has low maintenance.
- Very durable dirt bike, great for beginners
- Good speed and power for the average rider, but its small size makes it easy to control
- Geat height is adjustable, can be set to fit a wide range of riders
Honda CRF250X Cons
- The automatic clutch is not ideal for beginners, as it can be harder to control the power of this dirt bike.
- The lightweight frame of the CRF250X is suitable for handling but can be hard on some terrain.
4. KTM 150 SX 2015
It is the updated version of the original 2013 model. Many riders choose this bike due to its incredible power and lightweight frame. The 150 SX has a four-stroke, and it’s great for beginners because it’s straightforward to ride and maneuver.
Other than the great power, it also has a low seat height. This makes it very easy to get on and off of. Although this is not a big deal, it can be a nice change from the usual taller beginner bikes. In addition to the incredible power and low seat height, this bike is very trendy and modern. It has a sleek black design with orange accents, which is very attractive to the eyes. The KTM 150 SX 2015 is an excellent choice for a beginner.
KTM 150 SX 2015 specs
The KTM 150 SX is best in terms of the specifications it offers. It has a liquid-cooled engine, so you don’t have to worry about overheating, and the frame is made from lightweight aluminum material. It also has a steel-braided brake line that will provide more responsive braking.
It is very reliable, and it’s one of the only bikes on the market with chain-driven cams for better durability. It’s a strong bike, and the powerband is considerably better than the other bikes. You will find this dirt bike an easy transition from a minor two-stroke, which is excellent for riders looking to jump from a smaller engine to a larger one.
KTM 150 SX 2015 Reviews
It is among the most popular motorcycles in its class, and for good reason. An amazing bike both on the track and off. The engine is a 150cc air-cooled 4-stroke with great power to weight ratio. This motorcycle can reach very high top speeds of just under 70 mph!
KTM 150 SX Pros
- Chain-driven cams for better durability
- Excellent powerband
- Better suspension
- Better brakes
- Much lighter weight than most other dirt bikes
KTM 150 SX Cons
If you’re looking for a dirt bike that will get you ripping up the trails this summer, then any one of these four bikes is perfect. We hope you found this list of the best dirt bikes for beginners helpful. Even if we know that all these motorcycles are great, there’s no harm in narrowing down your choices based on what is essential to your choice and your budget. If you don’t find something here that piques your interest, browse through our other articles or get in touch with us by phone or email at any time!